How to Become a Respiratory Therapist in South Carolina – SC | Training

How to Become a Respiratory Therapist in South Carolina – SC

Steps to Become a Respiratory Therapist in South Carolina

    1. Graduate from high school and receive your high school diploma or GED.
    2. Graduate from a respiratory therapy education program recognized by the Committee on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC), the Joint Review Committee for Respiratory Therapy Education (JRCRTE), or accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP). You will receive a minimum of an Associate's Degree upon graduation.
  1. Take the NBRC exam (National Board of Respiratory Care) for a Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT). Consisting of 160 multiple-choice questions, this three-hour long exam is used to test applicants on entry-level respiratory therapy information. If you are still attending a program in respiratory therapy, you can enroll to take the NBRC CRT exam up to 30 days prior to graduation. Information on where to take the examination can be found at:

    NBRC Executive Office
    18000 W. 105th Street
    Olathe, KS 66061-7543
    (888) 341-4811

  2. Finally, to begin South Carolina respiratory therapist careers, graduates must apply for a license to practice respiratory therapy in the state of South Carolina. Applications can be obtained through:

S.C. Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation
Board of Medical Examiners
110 Centerview Drive, Suite 306
Post Office Box 12517
Columbia SC 29211
(803) 896-4501

Along with the application, you will need to send a fee of $134, verification of education, information if you've held respiratory care licenses in other states, results of your NBRC CRT exam, employment history, references, documentation of citizenship (can be a copy of your driver's license, certificate of citizenship, etc.), and information if you know where you'll be working as a respiratory therapist (if you don't have a job yet, you can write “unknown at this time”). However, before you can start working in South Carolina, you must notify the Board of Medical Examiners of where you will be working and the name of your Medical Director. 

Our Partner Listings