Kansas Occupational Therapy Schools - KS | Therapist | Certification | How to Become

Kansas Occupational Therapist School

How to Become an Occupational Therapist in Kansas

  1. Get a Bachelor's degree in occupational therapy or the social, behavior, or biological sciences. A Bachelor's degree in sociology, anthropology, psychology, biology, occupational therapy, physical therapy, or another related major will provide students with the best foundation for an occupational therapy Master's degree program. These students should take classes in biology, physiology, human anatomy, English, communication, psychology, human development, college-level mathematics, statistics, and ethics. Classes in these subjects may fulfill the prerequisite course requirements for most MSOT Kansas occupational therapy schools.
  1. Pursue a Master's degree. Kansas' programs provide students with a hands-on learning experience; they do not confine students to theory and research. If students choose to pursue education through the Kansas system, they can expect to develop their technical and communication skills, clinical reasoning ability, scientific and pragmatic knowledge, research capabilities, and professional skills. They can also expect to gain enough hands-on experience to qualify for the National Board on Certification for Occupational Therapy's certification exam, which certifies Occupational Therapists across the Nation.
  1. Take the NBCOT exam. All Occupational Therapists in the State of Kansas must pass the NBCOT certification exam after they complete a Master's degree program and the required supervised fieldwork. The exam covers Occupational Therapy's core concepts, and determines whether students are eligible to enter into the practice. Students who pass the exam receive an official NBCOT certificate, wallet card, and approval to apply for State licensure. Students who fail the exam receive their test scores and information on when they can re-take the test. The State of Kansas does not put a limit on the number of times an applicant can take the NBCOT exam.
  1. Get licensed through the Kansas State Board of Healing Arts. Applicants must provide KSBHA with an application form, official test scores sent directly from NBCOT, an official transcript with the graduation date posted, a current photograph, and verification forms for any other existing health licenses.

Through campus based and online programs, aspiring Occupational Therapists in Wichita, Overland Park and Kansas City, Kansas may be able to prepare themselves for the possibility of employment in some of the largest hospitals and healthcare facilities in the state including the Wesley Medical Center, Via Christi Regional Medical Center, and Saint Francis Health Center.

Our Partner Listings