Becoming an Ultrasound Technician in Louisiana - LA
How To Become a Ultrasound Technician in Louisiana
Although Louisiana does not require certification/licensing in ultrasound technology at this time, employers prefer those who were trained in accredited programs and those who are registered with an organization, such as the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS). Sonographers registered by the ARDMS are Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (RDMS). The following steps must be taken to successfully become a Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer in Louisiana.
- Complete all prerequisites required by the ARDMS. This includes education and clinical ultrasound/vascular experience.
- Example One: If you graduated from a single two-year allied health education program that is patient-care related, then 12 months of clinical ultrasound/vascular experience is required.
- Example Two: If you graduated from an accredited program, then additional clinical ultrasound/vascular experience is not required.
- Depending on your type of education, additional documentation may be required. This may include a copy of transcripts in addition to a formal letter regarding graduation or clinical experience.
- Complete the online application, and pay the appropriate fees. Currently, the application fee is $200.
- Successfully pass two comprehensive examinations - the Sonography Principles and Instrumentation (SPI) examination and one specialty examination within the RDMS credential. The SPI examination is approximately 2 hours long and around 120 multiple-choice questions. Depending on the specialty examination selected, the duration and amount of multiple-choice questions vary. The ARDMS does offer practice examinations to help the applicant prepare for the credentialing examination.
- After becoming registered, there is an annual renewal fee of $60 for each calendar year to maintain your active registration status.
- Completion of all of the above steps will prepare you to be a competitive candidate in the professional market of ultrasound technology in Louisiana.