How to Become a Physical Therapist Assistant in Maine – ME
Steps to Become a Physical Therapist Assistant in Maine
- After completing one of Maine’s physical therapy assistant training programs, complete the Physical Therapy Assistant license application for inclusion in the application package to the Maine Office of Licensing & Registration. Gather other required documents as listed below for submission with the completed application form.
- Submit a sealed copy of your transcripts.
- Obtain and submit a NPDB/HIPDB Self-Query Report.
- Complete and pass the PTA exam. Arrange to have scores sent directly from the testing company to the board for review.
- Pay the fees. The license fee is $40.00 and the application fee is $75.00. You’ll also be required to pay $21.00 for a criminal background check. Plus, when you apply for the examination from the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy, you’ll pay a $25.00 application fee.
- Provide other relevant supporting documentation. For example, if you’re licensed to practice in another state, that license information should be included. Also, if you have been convicted of a crime, documentation of the conviction from the courts should be included, as well as a written statement from you about the crime.
- If your name has changed, provide proof to the board. This may be a marriage license, divorce record or other court document.
- If you were educated in a country other than the US, provide proof that your school is recognized by that country’s ministry of education. Also, some PTA’s who were educated in foreign countries may be able to become licensed without further education, provided that an approved agency evaluates their credentials and determines that they’re qualified. Additionally, those trained in foreign countries must demonstrate that they can speak and write English at a proficient level. This can be done in a couple of ways. If the applicant’s school taught courses in English, written proof of such is accepted as proof of proficiency. Otherwise, the applicant must complete and pass three tests, including the Test of Spoken English for Professionals, the Test of English as a Foreign Language and the Test of Written English, as recommended by the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy.
- All of the above listed documentation and fees should be submitted in your application package. Failure to do so will cause your application to be considered incomplete and it will be returned to you for completion.