How to Become a Dental Hygienist in Montana - MT
The state of Montana does not have nearly as many dental assistants and dental hygienists as other states. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics there are only 700 registered dental hygienists in Montana. However, there is expected to be growth in this field, even in less populated states like Montana.
Typical Steps to Becoming a Dental Hygienist in Montana
Dental hygienists in Montana are not permitted to practice dental hygiene in any manner without an active Montana license from the Montana Board of Dentistry. Hygienists in Montana can become licensed through examination or by credentials. The following are general steps on how to become a dental hygienist in Montana.
To Become a Dental Hygienist by Examination (initial licensing procedure)
- Graduate from high school or earn a high school diploma equivalent
- Complete a board-approved accredited CODA (Commission on Dental Accreditation) dental hygiene program
- Pass the National Board Examination
- Pass a board-approved clinical examination
- Pass the Montana Jurisprudence Examination
- Take the steps necessary to possess current CPR/ACLS/PALS certification
- Apply for a license to practice dental hygiene with the Montana Board of Dentistry
NOTE: In most cases, no experience is necessary other than the required education.
To Become a Dental Hygienist by Credentials (most often needed for dental hygienists who have moved from another state or are licensed in another state)
- Graduate from an accredited CODA (Commission on Dental Accreditation) dental hygiene program
- Pass the National Board Dental Examination
- Pass a clinical examination for initial licensure
- Pass a Montana Jurisprudence Exam
- Possess current CPR/ACLS/PALS certifications
- Verify dental hygiene practice continuously for a minimum of 1000 hours during the two years prior to application
- Provide license verification from all states or jurisdictions that a license is or has been previously held
- Submit application for a Montana dental hygienist license by credentials with the Montana Board of Dentistry