Become a CNA in Nevada
How to Become a Certified Nursing Assistant in Nevada
- Those wishing to become a CNA in Nevada may still be in high school, as long as they are at least 16 years of age and can read and write at an eighth grade level. Training programs are available for those still in high school, or for those who have graduated from high school.
- Enroll in an online or campus based Nevada CNA certification program that is approved by the Nevada State Board of Nursing. These programs are available at high schools, technical and vocational schools, and community colleges. Upon graduation, you will receive a certificate of completion and be eligible to take the state competency testing for certification. Have your transcripts sent to the Nevada State Board of Nursing (address in Step 4 below).
- Most training schools have applications for you to take the National Nurse Aide Competency Exam (NNACE) tests while still a student. Tests are written or oral, and manual skills. These tests usually total $120.
- Apply with the state of Nevada to become a Certified Nursing Assistant. Applications are available at www.nursingboard.state.nv.us/certif/CNA%20application%20packet.pdf . The application fee is $50. The state also requires you to complete two Fingerprint Cards, which can be done electronically or through the mail. The fingerprint cards must be submitted with a fee of $51.25 to:
Nevada State Board of Nursing
5011 Meadowood Mall Way #300
Reno, NV 89502-6547
5. After submitting your state application to the Nevada State Board of Nursing, the state will give you eligibility to take its Clinical and Knowledge examinations for state competency.
6. Once you pass the state tests and receive your CNA through the Nevada State Board of Nursing, you must renew your CNA by filling out an application and paying a $50 fee before your certificate expires. You must have worked for 40 hours as a CNA during the 24 months prior to expiration of your certificate, and have 24 hours of continuing education training during that time period.