Become a Personal Trainer in New York - NY
You’re enthusiastic about health and fitness − helping others to get and stay healthy. You’ve done the research and are now considering a career as a Personal Fitness Trainer (or PFT). Whether you choose to be directly employed by one of New York’s many health and fitness clubs or to work as a self-employed independent professional, what better place than New York?
New York’s 2008 population of 19.5-million estimated by infoplease.com places it third among U.S. states. According to the Empire State Development March 2009 report, New York’s per capita personal income of $48,076 is more than 20% above the national average. Throw the ever-growing health consciousness of the American public into this mix and it’s no surprise that working in New York has been, and continues to be, the choice for many PFT’s.
Becoming a Personal Fitness Trainer in New York
New York State does not require special licensing for PFT’s. A national personal trainer certification by an agency accredited by the National Commission of Certifying Agencies (NCCA) is required by most health and fitness centers and is strongly recommended. After completing your education in New York, personal trainer certification through a national organization is all you need to be eligible for employment.
The current requirements for Personal Trainer candidates in New York:
- At least 18 years of age
- High school diploma or equivalent
- National certification, typically, Certified Personal Trainer (CPT) or Personal Fitness Trainer (PFT)
- Adult cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) with automated external defibrillator (AED) certification
A recent employment ad by one of New York’s largest health club chains listed some additional desired personal qualifications. While not necessarily “table stakes,” having these extra credentials or skills can often mean the difference between a good job and a great career:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a fitness-related field from an accredited university
- Willingness to receive employer-provided training
- Self-motivation, personal energy, enthusiastic attitude and a desire to succeed
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Team player attitude
- Ability to speak more than one language