How to Become a Medical Technician in Oregon
Steps to Becoming a Medical Tech in Oregon
Those who seek to be Medical Technicians in Oregon will happily find that the average pay for Medical Techinicians in Oregon is higher than the average national level. The Medical Techinician national salary levels are around $35,000 while the average salary for a Medical Technician in Oregon is rated at about $41,000. Anyone striving to become a Medical Technician in Oregon will find that the state of Oregon requires only that they meet the national standards of certification for this profession. Of course, as with any given profession, it never hurts to exceed the educational or professional qualifications laid out for that particular profession.
The steps below outline the process for becoming an employeable Medical Techinician in Oregon.
- Prepare for college by enrolling in science courses such as Biology and Chemistry in high school school.
- Volunteer in a medical laboratory or other type of medical setting to get a "feel" for the field.
- Become accepted in a program offered by one of the online or campus based Oregon Medical Technician schools.
- Successfully complete a Medical Techinician program at the associate level or higher.
- Contact the Board of Registry managed by the American Society for Clinical Pathology. Request an application for certification as a Medical Technician
Board of Registry
33 West Monroe St., Suite 1600
Chicago, IL 60603
1-800-267-2727 option 2, 2
- Return the application and any fees that apply to the Board of Registry.
- Pass the Exam offered by the Board of Registry.
- Currently, the state of Oregon requires that anyone who wishes to be employed as a Medical Techinician must be certified on a national level. There are no further licensing requirements. Since the medical field is constantly updating thier licensing requirements, it's a good idea to keep posted on the changes taking place. To do this, contact the State of Oregon Medical Board by using the contact information provided below for your convenience.
State of Oregon Medical Board
1500 SW 1st Ave., Suite 620
Portland, Oregon 97201-5847
Information provided by Indeed.com, Bureau of Labor and Statistics, Oregon Medical Board and the American Society for Clinical Pathology