Become a Pilates Instructor in Florida - FL
Pilates is a method of exercise involving balance, stretching and strength founded by Joseph Pilates in the early 1900s. While there is no national certification standard for those who wish to teach Pilates, Pilates instructor certification in Florida is possible and is even recommended by the Pilates Method Alliance (PMA). For students in Florida who wish to learn how to become a Pilates teacher, the steps are as follows:
- Graduate from high school or obtain your GED.
- Enroll in some Pilates classes. Becoming a Pilates instructor will be much easier and more rewarding if you know something about the discipline first. Additionally, most Pilates mat instructor training programs require that you have attended from five to 20 Pilates courses before enrolling.
- Find a Pilates mat instructor course. Most novice instructors start with Pilates mat instructor programs. The PMA lists recommended schools on its website. This training lasts about three months.
- After completing the mat training program, you may decide to go on for comprehensive Pilates instructor training. The prerequisite for this is to have 30 hours of Pilates training and two years of experience in some form of movement or dance. This training can take up to a year to complete.
- After you have finished training, you may choose to sit for the PMA certification exam, although this is not a requirement to teach Pilates in Florida. This involves passing a multiple-choice exam. Once passed, you may use the title Certified Pilates Teacher (CPT).