Radiology Technician Schools Through the Post 911 GI Bill | Tech | Education | Courses

Radiology Technician School Through Veterans Education Benefits

The x-ray technologist’s job is very important to the U.S. Armed Forces. X-ray technologists, commonly called radiologic technologists, perform such tasks as taking images of the bones and tissues of military personnel and assisting doctors in diagnoses by providing them with valuable patient information.

X-ray technologists are also known as radiology technicians. The average radiology technician salary is $58,000 a year in the United States, reports. And, while degree programs to become an x-ray technologist can be expensive, the military can make life simpler in this area. For instance, the U.S. Army gives its soldiers a starting annual salary of $14,400. This is on top of free clothing, free food, free health care, free housing, and discounts for travel. Since the Army covers so many basic expenses, that $14,400 per year can be redirected toward a degree in x-ray technology.

Once military personnel have completed their military service they can attend radiology technician schools through the post 911 GI Bill. It is also very important to note that these benefits actually become available to enlisted personnel after only two years of service, regardless of their current military job.

Becoming an X-Ray Technologist in a Branch of the Military

Receiving a degree and becoming a licensed x-ray technologist are paramount toward being able to perform x-ray technology duties in the Armed Forces. Here is how to get there:

  1. Provide an x-ray technology program (at a college or trade school) with transcripts from high school that prove that you passed your English and math courses. Passing high-school chemistry, biology, and/or physics classes can also aid in your acceptance into a program.
  2. Complete a two-year associate-level radiology technician degree program in the field of radiological or x-ray technology. The school that you attend must be accredited by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) or the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiographic Technology (JRCERT).
  3. Receive a license in x-ray technology. All but ten U.S. states require this license to operate as an x-ray technologist, which will be important once your military career is completed. In all but five of the 40 states that require a license, you will need to pass an ARRT-administered test to receive a license.
  4. You will need to complete at least 24 continuing education credits every two years to receive recertification.
This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans benefits at
Our Partner Listings