Arizona Speech Pathology Graduate Programs - AZ | Language | How to Become | Career | Online | Masters

Speech Pathology Programs in Arizona - AZ

Steps to Becoming a Speech-Language Pathologist in Arizona

A license and a certification in speech-language pathology that demonstrates clinical competency from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA), or its equivalent, are required to work as a speech-language pathologist in Arizona.

The Arizona Department of Health Services, Division of Licensing Services/Office of Special Licensing is responsible for the licensing of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists. Applications for licensing should be sent to:

Arizona Division of Licensing
150 N. 18th Ave.  Suite 460
Phoenix, AZ 85007
Phone 602.364.2079

Licensing requirements: Speech-Language Pathology

  • The Arizona speech language pathology graduate programs attended must be CAA- accredited
  • Successful  completion of a supervised clinical practicum
  • Completed postgraduate professional experience as a speech-language pathologist that is approved by the Arizona Department of Health Services. An official graduate transcript, showing the degree and date that it was awarded, are required.
  • Submit evidence that the individual has passed an examination (the ASHA Praxis examination) demonstrating clinical competency, with a score of 600 or above.
  • ASHA certification, the Certificate of Clinical Competence in the field of Speech-Language Pathology (CCC-SLP).
  • Submit a notarized document stating that the individual has United States citizenship or alien status. The application form can be downloaded at
  • Application and licensing fees must be paid by a check, money order, or now, the state of Arizona will accept Visa or MasterCard. A credit card payment form can be found at
  • In addition, to be licensed to work as a speech-language pathologist in a school in Arizona, documentation from a local or state education agency that the individual is working as an employee or as a contractor must be submitted. The individual must also have a certificate in speech and language therapy from the Arizona State Board of Education.

Temporary Licensing

If an individual has met all of the above requirements, but does not as yet have the requisite professional experience, a temporary license will allow the individual to practice, but only under the direct supervision of a fully licensed speech-language pathologist.

Continuing Education (CE) Requirements

Arizona stipulates an individual must complete 10 hours of continuing education every year.  

License Renewal

Speech and Language professionals can renew their license online at

Our Partner Listings