Hawaii Speech Pathology Graduate Programs - HI | Language | How to Become | Career | Online | Masters

Speech Pathology Programs in Hawaii - HI

Becoming a Speech and Language Pathologist in Hawaii is not only an emotionally and professionally rewarding career, but it can also be a financially lucrative one. Speech and Language Pathologists help a variety of individuals with difficulty expressing themselves verbally, working with children, adults, the elderly, and clients of all ages. In Honolulu, a Speech and Language Pathologist will make $75,000 annually, which is $9000 higher than the national average salary. In Kauai, the same professional will make $69,000, still $3000 higher than the national yearly salary for the position. Speech and language pathologists in Maui and Oahu can earn even more, namely, $77,000 annually in Maui and $76,000 annually in Oahu.


Steps to Become and Speech and Language Pathologist in Hawaii

  1. Graduate from either online or campus based Hawaii speech pathology graduate programs.
  2. Receive your Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) from the American Speech Language Hearing Association (ASHA). To do so, you must:
  • Complete a supervised clinical practicum of at least 375 hours.
  • Complete a clinical fellowship year beginning after academic coursework, and clinical practicum are completed. This must consist of at least 36 weeks of full-time professional experience (or part-time equivalent) under the supervision of someone with a CCC from the ASHA. 
  • Submit three letters of recommendation from work supervisors or colleagues
  • Apply, take, and pass the Praxis II Specialty Area Test in Speech Pathology. Have your scores sent directly to the Board. Contact ETS at:

The Praxis Series – Educational Testing Service
P.O. Box 6051
Princeton, NJ 08541-6051

  1. Submit a completed application for licensure in the state of Hawaii (which can be found at pvl_speech_pathologist_audiologist.pdf ), along with all required documents and a fee of $195 (if you're applying in an even-numbered year) or $135 (if you're applying in an odd-numbered year) to:

Board of Speech Pathology & Audiology
Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, PVL Licensing Branch
P.O. Box 3469
Honolulu, HI 96801
(808) 586-2693

    • All licenses expire on Dec. 31 of odd-numbered years, and must be renewed six weeks before expiration date. The Board will mail renewal notices to you at the appropriate time.

Our Partner Listings