New York Speech Pathology Graduate Programs - NY | Language | How to Become | Career | Online | Masters

Speech Pathology Programs in New York - NY

How to become a Speech Language Pathologist in New York

Speech language pathology licenses are issued by the New York State Education Department, Office of the Professions.  The department’s contact information is given below.

NY State Education Department, Office of the Professions
Division of Professional Licensing Services, Speech-Language Pathology Unit
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, New York 12234-1000
Tel: 518-474-3817, ext. 270
Fax: 518-402-5354
E-mail: [email protected]

All professional speech therapists must be licensed, except those who work for the local, state, or federal government or in elementary, secondary, or post secondary education.  If a speech pathologist works for a public school, he/she must have a teaching certification.  However, speech therapists that work for a hospital, clinic, or other private entity and plan on treating patients must have a license.  Before applying for licensure; however, applicants must have at least nine months of supervised experience after completing New York speech pathology graduate programs.  Two-thirds of the supervised experience must be in direct contact with patients.  Teaching and other academic activities are not counted as supervised experience.  The experience can either be part-time or full-time, but must be completed in a four-year period and under two employers at most.

Applicants must also take an exam administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS).  Applicants must score at least a 600 in order to pass.  There are ETS testing centers in New York State at Albany, the Bronx, Bronxville, Buffalo, Flushing, Jamaica, New York City, Old Westbury, Poughkeepsie, Rochester, and Syracuse.  Most of these testing centers are at colleges and universities.  ETS will send the applicants’ scores directly to the NYS Education Department.

The actual application for speech language pathology in New York is divided into five forms.  Form-1 deals with general background and contact information of the applicant.  The form must be notarized and submitted with a $294 application fee.  Form-2 is a certification of the applicants’ education and must be submitted by their graduate schools.  Form-4A should be submitted at the beginning of the applicants’ nine-month supervised experience.  If the state needs to verify and approve the experience undertaken by the applicant, Form-6 will be sent to the applicants’ supervisory employer.  Finally, at the end of the nine-month experience, a complete record of the supervised experience (Form-4B) must be submitted.

Our Partner Listings