Oklahoma Speech Pathology Graduate Programs - OK | Language | How to Become | Career | Online | Masters

Speech Pathology Programs in Oklahoma - OK

Speech and Language Pathologist – Oklahoma

Being able to communicate effectively is important to everyone, at every stage of life. During one's educational years, when one takes a job, and in social situations, communication is crucial to success. Speech and language pathologists help those who are having problems communicating for one reason or another. Within the state of Oklahoma, speech and language pathologists can be found working in the public school system, in the state's early intervention services, in private practice, in hospitals, and in many other settings where they can help those of any age with communication disorders. Speech and language pathologists in Oklahoma can make up to $91,000 annually, which represents a 72% increase over the average wage for speech pathologists across the United States.


Steps to Becoming a Speech and Language Pathologist in Oklahoma

  1. Be a U.S. Citizen of good moral character.
  2. Graduate from high school.
  3. Complete a Bachelor's degree program, preferably in a field relating to speech and language pathology and/or communication disorders.
  4. Enroll in a graduate program (Master's or Doctorate) in speech and language pathology. Oklahoma speech pathology graduate programs must be accredited by the American Speech Language Hearing Association (ASHA).
  5. To become a licensed speech and language pathologist in the state of Oklahoma, you must first receive your Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) from the ASHA. You can still apply for licensure with the state while in the process of fulfilling the requirements for the CCC.
  6. Once you have completed your graduate-level coursework, have transcripts sent directly to the state board. You also need to submit Academic Preparation and Clinical Practicum Clock Hours forms, verifying that you have completed the necessary coursework and a minimum 400 hour Clinical Practicum.
  7. Complete a Clinical Experience Year (CEY) after coursework is completed. Supervision must be by someone who holds a CCC from the ASHA. The work must be documented and supervised at least 6 times.
  8. Take the national Praxis II Specialty Area Exam in Speech Language Pathology, offered by Educational Testing Services.  Have your scores sent directly from ETS to the Board.
  9. Send three letters of reference.
  10. Send the completed, notarized application form along with $75 once all of the above have been gathered and/or completed to:

    Board Of Examiners For Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology
    P.O. Box 53592
    Oklahoma City, OK 73152

  11. Licenses must be renewed every two years. A fee of $75 must be sent in along with a recent photograph, application for renewal, and proof of 20 hours of continuing education.

Our Partner Listings