Speech Pathology License

Is there a national certification exam for speech-language pathologists?

In most employment settings SLPs are required to be nationally certified through the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). To become certified, one must have graduated from an accredited speech-language pathology master’s

Are continuing education units required in this field?

The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association requires speech-language pathologists to obtain 30 continuing education credits every three years to maintain their certification status.  According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are also currently 41 states that require continuing education units to be submitted for licensure renewal. There can be a great deal of overlap between the continuing education units needed for certification and licensure.

Speech Pathology Schools