Speech Pathology Schools in Hawaii - HI | Language | Colleges | Degree

Hawaii Speech Language Pathology Schools - HI

Speech-Language Pathologist Education in Hawaii

If you're applying to become a licensed Speech and Language Pathologist in the state of Hawaii, you must first fulfill the requirements of the ASHA to receive certification (CCC). This involves receiving a Master's degree (or higher) either online or through campus based Speech Pathology schools in Hawaii. Usually this requires going to a brick-and-mortar college or university, but some approved online alternatives do exist. The main criteria regarding which type of institution you attend is whether or not it's accredited by the ASHA.  A list of approved, accredited educational programs in Speech Pathology can be found at  www.asha.org/students/academic/EdFind/default.htm.

Most Master's programs in Speech Pathology take three to four years to complete (depending upon your Bachelor's degree concentration). Types of courses you can expect to take while getting a graduate degree in Speech Pathology include Aphasia, Language Disorders in Children, Motor Speech Disorders, Fluency Disorders, Phonology, and Dysphasia.

Candidates for licensure in the state of Hawaii must also complete a Clinical Practicum of at least 375 hours (this is to fulfill ASHA requirements as well). The year following completion of your academic program, you must also complete a Clinical Fellowship consisting of 36 weeks of full-time professional work (or a part-time equivalent) under the supervision of a CCC-certified supervisor.

Finally, you must take and pass the national Praxis II exam given by ETS. After receiving education, CCC, and licensure in the state of Hawaii, you will be well prepared for jobs in the Speech Language Pathology area in hospitals, research facilities, school districts, private practice, and more.

The state of Hawaii does not require continuing education to maintain a license. However, to maintain your CCC with the ASHA, you will be required to take 30 continuing education hours over a three-year period. Requirements and approved continuing education courses, seminars, and workshops can be found at www.asha.org/certification/slp_standards.htm.

Through campus or online programs, aspiring Speech Pathologists in Honolulu, Kialua and Hilo, Hawaii may be able to prepare themselves for the possibility of employment in some of the largest hospitals and healthcare facilities in the state including the Shriner's Hospital, Kapi'olani Health and Kaiser Permanente.
Our Partner Listings