Texas Medical Billing and Coding Schools - TX
Steps to becoming a medical billing and coding specialist in Texas
1) Successfully complete a 2-year associate degree program through medical coding schools in Texas that are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
2) Sit for and pass the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) examination. Individuals who attended non-CAHIIM-accredited programs or who are trained on the job are not eligible to take this examination.
3) Apply for certification as a Registered Health Information Technicians (RHIT) after completing training through medical billing schools in Texas.
4) Registered Health Information Technicians can go on to specialize within their profession. There are several options, including:
- Coding patients' medical information according to diagnosis and procedure.
- Registering patient records for patients treated for tumors or cancers utilizing the tumor registry data system. Cancer registrar is the fastest growing medical coding specialty.
5) Start working for a hospital, medical facility, physician’s practice, clinic, insurance company, public health research group, or billing and research center.
6) Continuously enhance your knowledge and skills through continuing educational courses.
7) Advance your career by earning increasingly higher levels of AHIMA accreditation. Members in the organization pay periodic dues.