Medical Billing and Coding Education in Utah - UT

Steps to Become a Medical Biller and Coder in Utah

  • Prospective medical billers & coders in Utah must first graduate from high school, or obtain their GED equivalence.
  • Then you are ready to find a Utah medical billing certificate or degree program.  It should be recommended by the AAPC  (American Academy of Professional Coders) and/or AHIMA (American Health Information Management Association). Approved coding/billing programs recommended by the AHIMA are listed at www.ahima.org/careers/college_search/search.asp . Approved billing and coding programs approved by the AAPC, both online and in colleges/universities, are available for searching by database at www.aapc.com/training.
  • Salt Lake City, Utah is home to the AAPC, one of the main accrediting and certification organizations when it comes to health care information management. Therefore, it is likely that many employers of medical billers/coders in the state will prefer certification through the AAPC over AHIMA certification.
    • To become certified through the AAPC, first work for at least a year in a beginner, entry-level job as a medical biller and/or coder. Tests are offered in Utah at Sandy, Ogden, St. George, and Provo. You can apply to take all of the exams offered by the AAPC at  www.aapc.com/certification.
    • To reach the first level of medical billing and coding certification in Utah, Certified Professional Coder (CPC), you will need at least a year of work experience.  This exam covers the basic information all medical billers and/or coders need to know, such as CPT (Current Procedural Terminology), ICD-9-CM (International Classification of Diseases, Clinical Modification), and HCPCS (Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System).
    • Those who bill and code for outpatient hospital departments should take the  CPC-H (Certified Professional Coder – Outpatient Hospital) exam, which covers a more targeted base of knowledge necessary for outpatient billers/coders.
    • Coders and/or billers who work for payers such as insurance companies, Medicare, or Medicaid need to take the CPC-P (Certified Professional Coder – Payer)  exam. It tests more specific knowledge especially necessary for payer billers/coders.
  • The AHIMA also offers certifications that are highly valued by medical billing/coding professionals. Information on these exams is available at  www.ahima.org.
    • Certified Coding Associate (CCA) requires six months of work experience in billing and/or coding prior to sitting for the exam. 
    • Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) candidates must have three years or more of practical job experience. 
    • Certified Coding Specialist – Physician Based (CCS-P) applicants need at least three years of work experience plus specialized education.

Medical Billing & Coding Schools