How to Become a Physical Therapist Assistant in Virginia – VA
Virginia is considered the “state for lovers” according to the state’s official website. Virginia has beautiful summers, colorful autumns, white winters and luscious green springs. It is a year round retreat for all activities and lifestyles. The economy in Virginia has strong anchors with military residents and political influences from the neighboring area of Washington DC. Due to the flow of people in this state, a Physical Therapist should experience good career opportunities.
Steps to Become a Physical Therapist Assistant in Virginia
- Successfully complete a certified Virginia Physical Therapy Assistant training program through an institution with a qualified PTA program. The organization required to approve the course of study is the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA).
- Schedule your national exam. For scheduling the test, you must complete an application, also complete a specific form entitled “form L” or submit a certified copy of your transcripts in order to be permitted as an applicant to take National Physical Therapy Assistant Exam (NPTE). In the state of Virginia, there is no state exam required for a Physical Therapy Assistant.
- Pay all related fees and charges expected.
- Fill out your official application.
- Once you have received a passing grade, have obtained your school transcripts, and filed all the necessary documents, you are ready for the final stage of licensing.
- In order to qualify for a license as a Physical Therapy Assistant in Virginia you will need to be over eighteen. You will supply proof of graduation from the PTA program and proof of a passing grade on the NPTE exam. Pay the license fee, fill out the necessary paperwork and await issuance of your license.
You will hold a valid license for two years at which time you will need to renew. There are certain things you must accomplish when that time comes. The number one requirement is contact hour credits listed in “continuing education”.